Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Heart Rate Monitor


Yesterday, I pulled my heart rate monitor out of the closet, for the first time in years, and took it to a speed-work with me. I always assumed I was in pretty decent aerobic condition. I have run two marathons, a couple half-marathons, and just finished my first half marathon with acceptable times.

 The walk from my car to the track brought my heart rate up to a whopping 127 bpm.  A very easy 1 mile warm up jog hit 182, and the hardest of the 10x300 workout peaked at 192 bpm. Eeek!

Today's swim-bike workout was not as scary. A half mile open water swim averaging 152 bpm followed by 10+ miles on the bike averaging 157 bpm.

 The coach told me I need more long slow runs and I need to run my slow runs at 70% heart rate. My internal response, “Screw that. I just ran 8 miles at 8:45 pace. I don’t need slow training.”

As usual, I am wrong.

After spending a slow day at work researching heart rate training, I am willing to admit it might have some merit (imagine that). The most convincing article I read was Working Your Heart by Mark Allen. How I currently understand it, 60-70% of your max heart rate is the intensity at which your body is able to convert fat to fuel and if you consistently train at that heart rate you will be able to run faster at that heart rate. As much as I want to believe that I am just too good for long slow training, if it a 6 time world ironman champion isn’t too good for heart rate training I can hardly claim to be.  Maybe I will acquire some patience along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment