Thursday, August 2, 2012

Free Summer Races


Last night was the last Summer Series Race of 2012. Every summer the New Orleans Track Club puts on a series of 2-mile races Wednesday nights. These races are free for NOTC members and $5 for everyone else. The race isn’t chip timed or recorded but there is an official clock at the start/finish line and it is a good place to first experience the race atmosphere. 

These cheap/free races are perfect for showing new runners that races are fun for all skill levels.  They help eliminate one of the typical excuses I hear from people about not racing. “I don't want to pay for a race to race when I might not like it.” 

I had a pretty slow run due to the track workout Tuesday night and biking less than a hour before the race. Even so, I still had lots of fun at the after party. Only in New Orleans can you get hamburgers, chips, salsa, beer and margaritas after a free 2-mile race. 

No comments:

Post a Comment